Saturday, May 17, 2008

There are two faces to a penny

I have this friend. I can't really name her since she might read this, so let me call her Sophia.

Sophie seems sweet and caring. She is outgoing and entertaining. She has got it all. This is her face up.

She knows how to subtlety push people's button and seem innocent about it. She will make a small 'innocent' comment that is rude a hurtful and project innocence to herself.
My instincts tell me she is not innocent. When you confront her she covers by saying that she didn't mean it that way and that she is innocent in her words and that I should know her better. I guess I don’t. I love her hence I try to give her the benefit of the doubt, but my instincts tells me she is anything but.

You see Sophie is my long-term family friend. It used to bother me that she is this way. If she were a new acquaintance, I would dump her by now, but she is one of my family friends.

But now I have come to accept it and accept the fact that she will never change. Accept the fact that she will be around my life....Next time she brings out her other face, I will be ready and smart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a really similar experience with the daughter of my mother's friend. This girl (and her mother as well) always liked to view themselves as superior to everyone else. for instance, when they sent us a Christmas card, they addressed it to "Bloomfield Township" even though our mailing address really was Bloomfield Hills, just because they wanted to prove something. They lived in Huntington Woods, so I facetiously told my mother we should mail them back a card but instead of sending it to Huntington Woods, we should send it to their address and write Oak Park as the city, which is next to Huntington Woods. We obviously did not do so, because that would be lowering ourselves to their level, but we did just phase them out of the non essential social functions that were more pleasant without them and didn't go to as many of theirs and eventually, no more invitations came and we were done. They weren't enjoyable to be around and we had plenty of other people to socialize with so it wasn't a big, dramatic scene, but we tried to sever the ties one strand at a time to make it less confrontational.